Step 8 - Control Pests
Insects and diseases can cause much damage to your crops if precautions are not taken before these pests arrive in your garden.
- Select disease-resistant varieties (see Table 1).
- Use only disease-free plants and seed.
- If possible, buy treated seed.
- Sow thinly and plant at proper distances (see Table 2).
- Keep down weeds in and around the garden (see Step 7).
- Provide good drainage.
- Stay out of the garden when plants are wet.
- If pests become serious, check with your local extension office or garden center for identification and control of the problem
- Rotate crops. Do not plant the same vegetable in the same location the following year.